Sunday, December 9, 2007

Savasana and Holiday Overload

This Holiday season has been non stop. I have been quite busy with hardly a respite or a chance to breath. Yesterday after an afternoon of shopping, driving and general frenzy, I came home, crawled into my comfy bed and was out within minutes. For many of us this season can be a burnout rather than a joy. It's important to slow down and do as this little fellow is doing, take a savasana. Savasana is yet another important Yoga pose. Savasana relaxes and invigorates your body and mind. It also relieves pressure, anxiety and calms the mind. A little more of this and we can all start enjoying the season rather than feeling fried by it! Knowing I am in deep need of a long breath, last week I attended a wonderful breath workshop given by Rhea Slichter. We focused on three types of pranayama, Kapalabhati (Cleaning Breath),Nadi shodhana, and Ujjayi breath. For an hour in a half we practiced pranayama with very little asana. I realized I have not taken a deep breath in a very long time. By the end of the season a few of us were yawning and looking fatigued. Breath brings us back into our bodies and has numerous curative affects when practiced regularly. I noticed that after this workshop I felt grounded and desired whole foods rather than the holiday junk I have been indulging in at every corner. In my own classes I incorporate a section of the class in the beginning and of course the closing to pranayama breathing, amazing that I had forgotten to breath myself. So inhale DEEPLY and exhale a loud Ho Ho Ho....
Be well and remember to relax this season.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was searching the web for savasana photos and came across your site. This photo is so cute!!
Namaste :)