Sunday, May 16, 2010

This Beautiful Planet


Today was a lovely day. We gathered our things and headed off to catch some sun and sand. Our first day at the beach this season! aaaahhhhh, just wonderful! As we all walked down the beach smiling, giggling, barking, throwing the frisbee and just expressing happiness, I couldn't help but reflect on the beauty of this planet and how dearly I appreciate, love and respect her.

I never cease to be amazed at her beauty, dignity and grace. I am in constant awe of her patience and forgiving nature. I think we are not the brightest race in the universe - At least I really hope not - because we do really horrible things to this planet that hurt not only ourselves but the fragile ecosystem we all depend on to survive. Some in the name of progress and industrialization and the rest out of ignorance and an incapacity to think about anything other than what we want right now. It's just not working, we have to to live in harmony with our planet or we're all going end up in a hand basket complaining about the heat!

I think we need to start by teaching our children how to live with an understanding of this planet instead of thinking of it as an everlasting well which will never run dry. It's imperative the next generation is instilled with a sense of responsibility and respect. If were going to save ourselves for generations to come we have to begin now. A few months ago I was sitting in a restaurant which had synthetic place mats. The kind that debilitate the planet by sitting in landfills for a few hundred years. Three little girls at the table were carrying on about how pretty they were, how good they felt and wouldn't it be nice if they had something like this at home. Not one of the girls understood the difference between natural and synthetic materials or what happens when you throw away materials that aren't biodegradable. They had never been taught and and when I mentioned something I got the your so weird look. They could have cared less. Proper etiquette and good manners were imperative, but an appreciation for the planet and it's limitations, not even a blip on the radar. That's wrong, lets change that. We have to begin to educate our children, for everyone's sake.

I want to leave you on a happy note with this poem. Our dogs were so happy today. It was a delight to see them play and frolic on a sunny warm Spring day. Be well. be happy, and go out and show the planet a little love today.


Happy Dog
I’m a happy dog at the beach
If I had the power of speech
I would tell you all
To throw my ball
I’m a happy dog at the beach

I’m a happy dog at the beach
There are no new tricks you can teach
I’m bouncy and glad
And my tail wags like mad
I’m a happy dog at the beach

I’m a happy dog at the beach
My joy is always in reach
Whatever the talk
It’s the best place to walk
I’m a happy dog at the beach

I’m a happy dog at the beach
As I hear the seagulls screech
I chase and I bark
Long into the dark
I’m a happy dog at the beach

I’m a happy dog at the beach
And I don’t want to start to preach
But if you ask me
The best thing to see
Is a happy dog at the beach

Flying Lemming

No comments: