Sunday, May 17, 2009

Repose



There's a lot going on in my life and a lot to accomplish in a short period of time. This time of year has always been hectic for me and this year is no exception. With so much to do it can be overwhelming. I suspect I am not alone in feeling the tidal wave of obligation and time constraint. Everyone has a different coping mechanism and lets be honest, most are pretty ineffectual. I personally run about trying to multitask as fast as I can and by the end of the day I am completely fried. Pushing myself to do more is a bit like moving a stone wall with a feather. It's just not going to work. To add to my frustration my overfilled mind becomes fuzzy and forgetful which results in disorganization and panic. This time around I've decided to try something new. I'm going to slow down and release control of the urge to get it all done immediately and to my (at times) unrealistic standard. Focus and clarity are needed, not a frazzled, fried, over panicked lady. It's time to take on my many tasks one at a time, and focus on getting one thing done at a time. It's also time to throw out guilt about not doing more at night. Just go to bed, get a good nights sleep and begin again tomorrow. Focus, breath, rest and move at a slower pace thats my plan for doing more in May.

1 comment:

Brenda P. said...

I could have written this. I am trying to be very conscious of making shorter to-do lists. It seems so dorky but, truly, if I make a list I know I can finish by the end of the day I feel so triumphant before bedtime. Only essentials (as in due that day) make it on the list. The long term projects get their own list that is hidden away, so I'm not reminded too much. And then I try to be totally honest about what could actually get done.

Sneaky psychological tricks, but they work...

Good luck!