Friday, September 10, 2010

Sweet Dreams

Can't quite put my finger on it but I think its a combination of a few things, mostly stuff going on in my head, but it's been a good long time between a solid nights sleep. I'm having a hard time falling asleep, staying asleep and wake up far too early. Intervention is needed before I have a mini crash. Swimming is always helpful for me and it looks like I'll be headed to the pool but my immediate solution is a little viparita karani.

Viparita karani or feet up against the wall position has profound restorative effects on the body. If your feeling a real need to rejuvenate and come back to balance its good to devote a practice to this one pose. A daily practice would be 20-30 minutes. As a general rule its not recommended a person should exceed this amount of time in this inverted position.


This position leads to an increase in blood flow to your upper body as well as to your brain which is very useful to maintain your blood pressure and calm your nervous system. It has numerous other benefits as well but for now that's what I'm aiming for a little calm and relaxation to get me to sleep at night.

No comments: