Friday, October 15, 2010

Boxes and Lobsters

This is where it's at these days. The goal is to be completely packed in the next five days. It has been my experience that "completely packed" usually means 85% of what you have is actually packed, when you think 98.5% is stuffed into boxes and ready to roll. Its a funny little phenomena. As I'm packing I see how much stuff has accumulated over the years and I am struck by it. I think this is in part because I do not view myself as a materialistic person and in part because I can't actually recall where a lot of it came from. As I said, I consider myself fairly free from materialistic entrapment but really that's probably just a pretty little fantasy in my head. For example; isn't it time to throw away five years of yoga journal magazines that have been stored down in the my basement for who knows how long, or how about all the books I've read that now just sit on my bookshelf collecting dust, or the purses neatly lined up in the closet that haven't been used in a decade, and why do I keep dragging my undergraduate statistics book with me wherever I go? Seriously, why am I holding on to these things? It's time to take a shaky hand and start piling stuff into a big black trash bag headed toward the recycle bin or donation to Goodwill. I think this is the week to tackle that little demon. Yeah that's right, that's me in the hoodie running up those stairs, fearless!
In the meantime tonights the annual lobster bake C and I have every year. This is a downright feel good evening where we give thanks and celebrate the harvest in our own deeply unique way associated with our environment and spiritual beliefs. Taking time to give thanks and to this beautiful planet for the abundance and love she gives us in selfless abandon. Oh yeah, rock on.....

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Even though it's been 15 years since I've had to pack; I could relate to everything you said! There is *definitely* the 85%/98.5% phenomena about packing. I've hauled the magazines from abode to abode, the dusty bags, the old college books and notes, my huge library of paperbacks.

The ability to cling to these items is amazing, and even more amazing is my struggle to "let go".

Hmm, perhaps this weekend I'll purge. :)

May you enjoy your lobster bake and this beautiful time of year! Good luck with the move.

Unknown said...

I hear you on moving and in some ways, my moves to foreign countries has limited my possessions. I think you actually did get some things from me at different times.

Good luck with the move. Our move from our hotel quarters to the apartment is november 4.

Hugs to C!