Sunday, October 9, 2011

There's Something Happening Here

Today my mother and I journeyed to our cities own demonstration in solidarity of Occupy Wall Street. My mother a flower child from the 60's and me stuck somewhere in the middle traveled down to give our support. There were many people and the feeling was one of overall peace, justice, and solidarity. There have been many demands and there are a few I can't agree with but the majority I must say, I stand right beside my fellow citizens. This was a peaceful and organized demonstration which excluded no one. All ages, all circumstances, all welcome and all have a voice. The organizers and the majority of the population were from the millennial generation. I am so taken and so proud of this generation. I feel a stirring, perhaps this will grow into something more. I saw many, many signs, a few were indications of something bigger taking form; taxi drivers are in the 99%! nurses are in the 99%! The largest health care workers union in our state is openly supporting the movement and supplied the medical tent, The Unitarian committee set up a tent for vespers, support and a place to pray and mediate. There is definitely something happening, the movement has grown to 25 cities since its inception sometime in July 2011. Is this our Arab Spring, American Autumn?




No comments: