Sunday, April 13, 2008

Focus and Breath

This week I wanted out of the fun house in the worst way. By Friday things had calmed considerably and now I'm starting to regain a tenuous grip. I really am quite stressed and its affecting me physically. It's time for a little yin yoga. This practice consists of postures selected to gently stretch and release the connective tissues around major joints, and put slight pressure on the joints themselves. Postures are performed with muscles held as relaxed as possible for a sustained period of time. ( 2-10 minutes)


Yin yoga is based on the Taoist principles of Yin and Yang, where Yin is more calming and passive, and Yang is more active, excited, and upward-moving. The physical effects of the Yin practice result in lubricated and lengthened connective tissue, whereas Yang practice focuses more on strengthening and stretching the muscles.

Yin yoga is also a wonderful practice for both quieting the active mind and encouraging the prana to consistently flow through the six main meridians in the legs, which are connected to the health of these major organs (the spleen/pancreas, liver, kidney, urinary bladder, stomach, and gall bladder).

When I need a little TLC Emily Frank is my go to lady. She is calming, warm and lets me know its all OK.


Namaste and happy trails