Sunday, January 24, 2010

Yoga Teacher Training

Yoga Instructor Randal Williams giving a demonstration
This a photo of one of my instructors giving a teaching clinic on shoulder stand with variations and modifications during my yoga teacher training at Kripalu. What a fantastic opportunity! When I think about my teacher training I get all warm and nostalgic but in reality I am sure on this day ( and many others) what I was really thinking was, " I wonder what's for lunch?" " Ah my back hurts from sitting on the floor for so many hours." " oh my massage appointment is tomorrow, thank God!"
Recently a dear friend of mine wrote to say she had just entered a yoga teacher training and did I have any advice for her. I excitedly replied with congratulations and told her to just take it in she would get what she needed out of it and how fantastic she was doing this. Then I got to thinking a little about my experience in teacher training I realized there is definitely some practical advice we can all give to people about to enter a training. I wrote back with a list:
  • Get massages ( as prevention to muscle injury and relief from overstretched achy muscles)
  • I liked the tiger balm pain relieving patch for achy muscles but anything similar can be really helpful.
  • Drink twice the water you normally would every day. ( it will help flush the toxins out of your system and keep your joints fluid)
  • Go on a vitamin regime I used C, D and E ( talk to your holistic practitioner in the health food store) you will need this as a lot of toxins are flushing from your system and you are using more than the usual amount of minerals. Things tend to get a little depleted.
  • At least once in the practice there is something that really hurts. Do get it checked out but usually it's an old injury coming to the surface. By the end of someones training the injury usually is gone and never comes back.
  • Pace yourself. Listen to your body.
  • Go for an acupuncture treatment when possible
  • Eat mindfully and holistically
  • If you can get in a sauna or hot tub, do this as often as possible for your muscles ( I did every day in my first training)
  • Yoga teacher training can bring a lot of emotions to the surface. This is part of the process and should be viewed from a non judgemental point of view.
  • Expect an extraordinary amount of conversation concerning bowels and gastrointestinal issues. one word, Metamucil.
  • Coconut water is an excellent replacement for potassium and minerals.

I tried a google search but only found training schedules, prerequisite readings or articles on making a living as a full time yoga teacher. I couldn't find any suggestions for surviving the actual training. I'm surprised, surely someone would have advice for the yogi in training?

I would love to hear from you, what advice can you give my friend, or others embarking on this experience?

5 comments:

Emma said...

Hello there, just found your blog, I love it :-)
Thanks for sharing the advice, I am no teacher but will start a teacher training in September, I am sure your list will be useful then!

Brenda P. said...

Great suggestions...and great idea. I wonder why this subject doesn't get dealt with much. You may have helped me with an idea for another Yoga Journal Online article--if you don't mind me snagging it...

Let me know what you think!

Miss S said...

Brenda,
Great! Go for it, I think its a subject that would be of interest and helpful to many.
Miss. S
(Shannon)

babs said...

I'm like you. I look back on my training with fondness. But, when I think about it...when I was there, I was fairly certain if I had to do another triangle I would die! My best advice for someone entering a training would be to do it for yourself. I was really self conscious at my training and terrified that I didn't know as much as everyone else when in reality we were all in the same boat. Absorb what you need and what resonates with you and leave the rest. Yoga is truly individual, right?!

Brenda P. said...

Shannon-
It's a go! My editor responded immediately and said she loved the idea. You've hit a nerve. I wonder if you would mind being interviewed on the subject as a "student who has been there?" I think your list is so useful, I'd love to hear more of your thoughts.

Also, who is your teacher at Kripalu? I'd like to represent their training in the article, because they have touched so many people.

Thanks again for the idea! (And sorry I can't just email you all of this. You can comment on GTTSB and I won't post it, if you want to send a better address...)