Saturday, November 27, 2010

Old endings and new beginnings

One of the areas in yoga I really love is chanting mantras and singing. My yoga teacher trainings emphasized this aspect and we always had a lot of chanting in all our classes. Unfortunately this has not carried over to the extent I would like in my own teachings or classes I have taken since teacher training. I'm a little shy about leading a mantra and the main studio where I had practiced would only om in the beginning of class and namaste at the end. There was never any other chanting or separate breath exercises in the class itself. The studio I am now practicing in has chanting, mantras, prayers, music, pranayama and philosophy. I love it, it's perfect!

I truly feel, I as well as every other living creatures great and small, are on a personal journey of evolution. We need different things at different times and if we are presented with everything all at once we become overwhelmed and reject everything. The studio I practiced for many years was great for me at the time. I feel it was there to introduce one area of yoga which turned out to be a great influence and greatly assisted my own evolution as a yoga teacher. This studio, which could fall into focusing on the physical only, get a little too body beautiful and a bit too youthful at times had a quirky little restorative class taught by a teacher, that without knowing gave me a great big cosmic push on my path. Once I had migrated restorative into my own teachings and that teacher left to do other things, I found my interest in taking class at that particular studio diminish completely. I think it was a great journey and in the end I just wasn't supposed to be there anymore.

To my former studio I have feelings of love and gratitude. Thank you for everything, I really enjoyed my time, I got so much out of so many wonderful teachers. I learned a tremendous amount and I am so very grateful. So...... thank you for everything, good bye, and take care of yourself.

No comments: