Friday, August 24, 2012

Don't follow the Herd!

 Free Class in Central Park, NYC aka Sardine Class


The article,  What I learned from giving up, by Anne Kreamer discusses the authors disenchantment and eventual abandonment of a yoga practice. 

Yoga has entered the fitness industry in America and with some of these classes I am reminded of aerobic classes in the 80's. There are some really physically challenging classes out there, which will confound just about any yoga practitioner and should be practiced by a select few, and then there are also some really moronic classes that are making money off of the masses by pin pricking the ego.  These are not really yoga classes, the teacher will move on to a new fad when yoga becomes unprofitable and the students will pack up their sexy yoga gear and herd off as well.  For the love of all things sane, just bypass this bullshit, get what you want out of your life, be happy, and go take a Zumba class!  

Yoga improves mental and physical health while working out karma and evolving the soul.  Yoga, real yoga, is rubbish when your aiming to drop three dress sizes and get back that A list body.  Unfortunately there is a great deal of money to be made, so there are a lot of yoga offerings which are  sub par on a good day.  It appears Kreamer had one too many classes which were meant to " give a really good work out."  The result; dissatisfaction, disappointment and injury. 

There was a power studio in my area which gave an excellent restorative class once a week.  It was the least popular class in a highly populated studio.  My friend giggled upon finding I took the class,  and told me it was for old ladies.  After the teacher relocated to become a yoga therapist, I dropped the studio completely.  That old lady class changed my perspective entirely.  I still use a great deal of what she did in my own teaching. 

I take really GOOD yoga classes from teachers with an incredibly high level of expertise.  Finding good teachers and a solid practice is an ongoing project. Some folks can't be so picky, they live in an area with very little on offer.  This is a good time to start diving into DVD's, books, pod casts, and a field trip or two a couple of towns over, or a weekend away to an ashram or health and wellness center ( Kripalu, Omega etc...) .  You would be surprised how many are out there nestled in the woods someplace.  I wish this writer had explored a bit more, I think she knew and had experienced real yoga and with time would have found something more suited to her taste and style.  

Its OK to keep looking till you find the right fit.  I don't do power or other popular styles, and you will never find me taking a free class in Central Park. I did walk out of a class once,  but for the most part I try to be respectful and stay, even when I know I'll never be back.  That said I won't participate in what I find ridiculous and unsafe for my body.  Yeah that's me in the back, modifying all your poses.  You don't like it, no worries we won't be running into each other anytime soon.  If your not getting what you need. keep looking till you find what works for you.  If its not yoga, don't try to make it yoga go for what you really want.  If it is yoga, follow your heart and listen to your body, only you know which practice is going to benefit you and nourish your soul.

Be well and make smart personal choices.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

If your not getting what you need, keep looking till you find what works for you. If its not yoga, don't try to make it yoga go for what you really want. If it is yoga, follow your heart and listen to your body, only you know which practice is going to benefit you and nourish your soul.

I think you summed it up perfectly right there. I think there is something out there for everyone, but what resonates with me, turns someone else off. For me to critisize their choice is incongruent with "find what works for you". Kundalini does not work for me. Vinyasa flow does. Yoga with weights does not work for me. Ashtanga does.

I figure if "that" class at "that" studio or gym gets people off the couch and moving, who am I to say it's 'bad yoga'.

Now poor instructors or classes are a whole different posting...

Miss S said...

Thoughtful response, Thank you,

I really agree with what you said. Explore, do what works for you and your body, and by all means enjoy it. If it's not working keep looking. I don't think if someone doesn't likes a style or class its bad just not for the person. Also if the student just doesn't like yoga do something else, it's ok not to like it and move on.

I do think there is some really bad stuff out there. As yoga becomes more popular I have had some classes that the teacher has pushed the students beyond a safe limit or not understood the style they were teaching. This has been particularly true in my experience with restorative classes and yin classes. needless injury's because the philosophy and technique to teach the style was never acquired.

I also strongly agree that yoga or anything else that gets someone moving from a sedentary lifestyle is valid and hugely beneficial and meets the person where there at. But sedentary to a ore active lifestyle is a whole topic in itself!

Shannon