Thursday, July 10, 2008

Book Review



Aaaahhh yes! Sweet sweet Summertime with a beach blanket and a good book.

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert is one of those books with a big buzz that everyone talks about. In her early thirties Elizabeth Gilbert got a divorce and went in search of herself. She found herself in Italy, India and Bali. Each destination unpeeled a layer of the onion and allowed her to heal and become whole again. Although somewhat contrived as she was paid to do this rather than a spontaneous journey, there was a clear and important message. Happiness is possible for everyone. good thought, good message, inspirational read.

That's How the Light Gets In by Susan Rako Dr. Rako wrote a memoir of her years of practice as a psychotherapist. She's still practicing - I hope for many years to come- so I was a little confused why she would write a memoir, but no matter it was an excellent read. I was inspired by her holistic approach to therapy and her willingness to take from areas traditional and non traditional. As I work through my doctorate this book is a tap on the shoulder telling me I am not bound to only one area of thought, one box, one approach. Thank you Dr. Rako.

The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult As I waited to board my plane a family with three teenage daughters were scrambling about repacking their packs and demonstrating that wonderful excitement we can have right before a journey. One of the daughters turned to her sister and said, " What am I going to do with this big book? Do you want it?" She didn't and I ended up with it. So began my Middle Eastern journey while reading a book loosely based on Dante's circle's of hell. This is a book about relationships with our children, rape, loosing a child, the black Psyche of misery in our own childhood and other really fun stuff like that. Why this book, in this place I have no idea but well worth the read.

No comments: