Saturday, November 12, 2011

Run Down

I'm a bit run down. This season has been filled with too many things to do in too short a period of time. I've been routinely double and at times triple booked for months now. I knew I just had to make it up the last big hill and things would slow down to a reasonable rate, if I could just make it a bit longer I wouldn't have to run so hard on the treadmill.

In the back of my mind I have been a little concerned. I have been feeling so run down without respite for so long I feel I'm really pushing the envelope. Cold and flu season has been viscous this Autumn and increasingly more and more folks I come into contact with have been sick. One day about a week ago literally every one I came across was sneezing, sniffling, coughing and looked like they should be in bed, not out and about in the world. Added to this I got a flu shot in September and I had a bad reaction which is only now beginning to dissipate.

Knowing I need to do something to help myself, I have taken some steps which may or may not be helpful as I am starting to feel a little wane myself. When overexposed by too many germs I have found Echinacea Goldenseal is an excellent remedy to stave off whatever might be coming. Use a moderate dose if you feel sickness “coming on.” For an average weight adult, use 1 dropperful 3 times per day. Pump up the vitamin C, but be careful with fruity drinks, many contain large amounts of sugar. Sugar is hell on the immune system. I personally think Halloween jump starts the cold and flu season. Of course yoga is always beneficial, but beware if something is hiding in your system asana can facilitate the germs journey out of your system which means after a bit of yoga you may feel worse not better. Your getting the junk out of your trunk so to speak, but it can be disheartening to try to do something to make you feel better and end of feeling worse. Last but never least and always the hardest to put into practice, rest. My sixth grade teacher, really a not very nice lady who I do not look back on fondly, did have one piece of brilliant advice. If you are sick stay in bed till you feel well, then stay in bed one more day. So many of us cut our healing period short only to find were sick all over again. Giving the body time to heal dramatically shortens the amount of time you feel listless and dull. If we don't give ourselves enough time, the body will heal, but the immune system is weakened, which means the next snuffly sneezing person you come across will bring you right back into a cold.

If your not feeling well, be good to yourself, love yourself up and take some time to feel better.

Peace, love and good rest everyone.

No comments: