Friday, June 29, 2012

Benefits Big and Small


I've just started my lit review.  Right now I'm reading other dissertations with similar subject matter to my research.  I'm definitely a geek when it comes to this area.  I really enjoy the reads.  Right now I'm reading someone work on yoga as a healing method with drug and alcohol addiction.  In the research there are some fairly extensive interviews with yoga practitioners who found healing and recovery through yogic discipline,  What strikes me is the similar cord in each of these personal experiences.  I call it the peeling of the onion.  With each layer the practitioner discovered new aspects and feelings states.  Each discovery brought a new level of insight and healing.  Slowly, in small steps, the practice grew off the mat and into the every day world.  

I think this is a universal theme for all who study and practice yoga.  It starts off as a nice thing to do that feels good and grows into a healing practice which expands into all daily life.  Stressful events that happen off the mat may not become easier but somehow more manageable.  Recognizing stressful events and breathing through the experience, sitting with your feelings even if they are uncomfortable, allowing others to own their own distress and resisting the urge to join in confrontations are all incredible benefits of a long term practice.  You don't have to be in recovery or have had a stressful trauma to benefit from a yoga practice, being human on this planet is the only criteria needed. 

Blessings to everyone and happy Friday!

No comments: