Monday, July 9, 2007

Blocks, Straps, Blankets, and Chairs


Today I took an Iyengar class. I’ve been really curious and wanted to check it out. One of my Baptiste teachers, Brandon Compagnone says using props such as blocks are a way of laying the ego aside and loving oneself with deep respect. Absolutely! Modifications and props enhance the practice, bringing the self closer to the essence of yoga. Evidently my enthusiasm for props is but a one sand pebble in a vast dessert compared to B.K.S. Iyengar’s exuberance for using anything and everything. This is not a grab your mat and we will practice right here type of yoga. This is an I’ll back the truck up to the door and we’ll unload everything you’ll need, type of practice. Although daunting this was the least of my problems. There wasn’t any spirituality brought fourth during the session and absolutely no breath work. I guess I really didn’t need these aspects as I was far too busy trying to jam myself into positions with blankets, straps, blocks and chairs and occasionally all simultaneously. In all fairness my teacher demonstrated great skill and technical ability. It was evident she has a strong belief in the truth of this practice and really cared about what she was teaching her students. Her students with the exception of moi, were dedicated to their teacher and enhancing their bodies and healing through this technique. That said, I found her cold and the over emphasis on the technical made the experience sterile. The modifications and assists were abrasive and I felt for the first time in all my years of practice I might actually get hurt in class! How uptight B.K.S. must have been to develop this style of yoga. Restrictive, rules driven with little to no emphasis on the spiritual aspect of the practice. How much emotional baggage does this guy carry around? Evidently a boat load as demonstrated by the amount of objects you need to use in his classes. By the end of class I was relieved it was over but did not feel well….satisfied. I have not given up totally, I will try one more class but my gut tells me my direction lies elsewhere.

Jai Bhagwan

No comments: