Saturday, July 21, 2007

Book Review

Vacation is always a good time to catch up on all those books we have been meaning to read but haven't the luxury of time or energy to pick up or finish once started. I've managed to finish a few and thought I'd share my thoughts.
This is a recording by Barbara Corcoran is an absolutely fantastic read. It was written for the young teen crowd in the early '70's. This writer brings up surprising and controversial issues that are still relevant today. her main issues deal with the environment, conservation and behavior and attitude toward American Indians. She briefly touches upon growing up in an alternative house. i.e. a single grandmother rather than a mother and father. I really liked what she had to say and I'm going to look for books she's written.
Nigella Lawson by Gilly Smith. I love whatever I have made that came from a Nigella Lawson recipe. She has a fun, sensual attitude toward the kitchen which makes her recipes all the more intriguing. Unfortunately this biography captured none of the fun... all drag. Skip it.
Insatiable by Gael Green. Long time restaurant critic for New York magazine. She retells a good story about fine dining unforgettable wine and LOTS of lust in between. She understands food and brings you on a gastronomic ride, unfortunately the sex is unsettling on the stomach.
Geisha: A Life by Mineko Iwasaki. Mineko was the last of the superstar Geisha. An easy read but hard to put down. A complex personality with a unique and fascinating life. I love books on Geisha and this didn't disappoint.
That's it for now. I'm currently reading Buddha by Karen Armstrong. She's my favorite religious writer. I highly recommend the Spiral Staircase if you get a change.
Be well!

No comments: